click to enlarge
180 capsules 500 mg each
Acne (acne vulgaris) is a common skin condition characterized by comedones (whiteheads and blackheads), papules, pustules, and cysts. Acne mostly affects areas of skin with dense sebaceous follicles, such as face, upper neck, chest, back and shoulders. Depending on severity, acne can be inflammatory or noninflammatory. Acne lesions are commonly referred to as pimples, blemishes, spots, or zits.
Acne occurs most commonly during adolescence, affecting most teenagers to some extent, and often continues into adulthood. In adolescence, acne is usually caused by an increase in androgens. For most people, acne diminishes over time and tends to disappear after one reaches early twenties. However, some individuals will carry this condition well into their thirties and beyond.
Acne develops as a result of blockages in sebaceous follicles, each of which contains a hair and a sebaceous (oil) gland. Hyperkeratinization and formation of a plug of keratin, sebum, and dead skin cells is the initial step. The plug may enlarge to form an open comedone (blackhead) or closed comedone (whiteheads). Comedones are the direct result of sebaceous glands becoming clogged with sebum, a naturally occurring oil, and dead skin cells. In these conditions the largely commensal bacterium Propionibacterium acnes can cause inflammation, leading to inflammatory lesions (papules, infected pustules, or nodules), which results in redness, scarring or hyperpigmentation.
Besides scarring, acne can also cause emotional distress and damage to self-esteem, confidence, personality, and social life. Some people can become significantly depressed if acne is not treated.
Acne is not caused by dirt. Although blackheads look like dirt stuck in the openings of pores, the black color is simply oxidized keratin. Acne is not contagious or infectious.
The primary causes of acne include:
- Overproduction of sebum as a result of hyperactive sebaceous glands secondary to hormonal activity.
- Irregular shedding of dead skin cells resulting in irritation of the hair follicles.
- Bacteria in the pores. Propionibacterium acnes is the anaerobic bacterium that causes acne.
The factors that have been linked to acne include:
- Genetics. The tendency to develop acne runs in families. A family history of acne is associated with an earlier occurrence of acne and an increased number of retentional acne lesions.
- Hormonal activity, such as puberty and menstrual cycles. During puberty, an increase in androgens causes the follicular glands to grow larger and make more sebum. Acne in adult women may be a feature of an underlying condition such as pregnancy and disorders such as polycystic ovary syndrome. Menopause-associated acne occurs as production of the natural anti-acne ovarian hormone estradiol fails at menopause.
- Inflammation. Skin irritation or scratching will activate inflammation.
- Stress. Research indicates that increased acne severity is significantly associated with increased stress levels.
- Use of anabolic steroids.
In general, treatments are approached from the following four directions:
- Normalizing shedding into the pore to prevent blockage.
- Killing Propionibacterium acnes.
- Anti-inflammatory effects.
- Hormonal manipulation.
The following self-care approaches may help lessening the effects of acne:
- Gentle skin washing with a mild, moisturizing soap once or twice a day, including after exercising, can help to remove bacteria and oils that cause acne.
- Shampoo hair daily and keep the hair out of your face.
- Avoid touching your face with hands or fingers.
- Avoid squeezing, scratching, picking, or rubbing the pimples, which can lead to scarring and infections.
- Avoid oily cosmetics or creams. Use water-based formulas instead. Remove make-up at night.
Over-the-counter and prescription acne medications include:
- Topical bactericidals, such as over-the-counter bactericidal products containing benzoyl peroxide.
- Topical or oral antibiotics, such as erythromycin or one of the tetracycline antibiotics can kill the bacteria that are harbored in the blocked follicles.
- Topical or oral retinoids. A group of medications for normalizing the follicle cell lifecycle are topical retinoids such as tretinoin, adapalene, and tazarotene. Oral retinoids include the vitamin A derivative isotretinoin (Accutane). Note, isotretinoin can cause severe birth defects and should be not be used by pregnant or sexually active females.
Some other approaches that have been used include birth control pills, chemical skin peeling, surgical drainage of cysts, dermabrasion, and UV exposure, which are often associated with significant risks and side effects.
The Best Natural Remedy For Acne
Acne problems can be influenced by multiple factors including genetics, hormone imbalance, improper diet such as deep fried food, fats, sweets, spicy foods, as well as seafood such as lobster, shrimp and crabs, and emotional stress.
The HERBALmax Acne Formula is an effective, all-natural herbal remedy specially designed by Dr. Zhang to quickly reduce facial and body acne. Dr. Zhang has successfully used this formula in her clinic to help many patients with severe acne problems, with most patients seeing notable improvement in about 1 week.
Like all HERBALmax products, the Acne Formula is a safe, non-addictive, and 100% natural remedy containing herbs selected to the highest standards. The herbs in the formula have no known side effects. If your symptoms do not improve in 1-2 weeks, you may have a skin allergy instead of acne.
Designed For: Acne, boils, and skin infection.
Directions For Use: 5 capsules, three times a day on an empty stomach or between meals. After the acne is 100% cleared, keep taking the formula for a few more days before stopping. Then keep one bottle of the Acne Formula on hand, so it can be taken right away if acne reappears.
For faster relief, an additional daily dose may be taken. For severe cases, Acne Formula may be taken with the Infection Formula.
Active Ingredients: Dandelion, Baical Skullcap Root, Red Sage Root, Red Peony Root, Yedoens Violet, Japanese Honeysuckle, Cortex Magnoliae Officinalis.
Disclaimer: HERBALmax products are dietary supplements. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
About Dr. Zhang
Dr. Lihua Zhang, PhD, OMD is an herbal pharmacologist and licensed acupuncturist in Los Angeles, California. She is an expert in Chinese medicine and has been in this field since 1978. In her earlier years as an herbal pharmacology researcher, Dr. Zhang was a faculty member at the Institute of Herbal Medicine at Heilongjiang University of Chinese Medicine - one of the premier Chinese medical universities in China. Dr. Zhang came to the Unite State in 1994. In 2006, Dr. Zhang was named The Best of the Best Doctor in Town by six local magazines (Beverly Hills, Pacific Palisades, Malibu, Brentwood, Bel Air, and Santa Monica magazine).
Dr. Zhang has authored and co-authored over 30 scientific articles as well as two books. Her comprehensive textbook, Complete Guide for Identifying and Characterizing Chinese Herbs, was named one of the best scientific books by the Chinese government when published in 1993. Dr. Zhang was also awarded First Prize for her research by the Chinese government in 1992. In 1994, Dr. Zhang arrived in the United States and received the Best Paper award from the 1st World Traditional Medicine Conference.
As one of the very few scholars of both herbal pharmacology and Chinese medicine, Dr. Zhang is able to bridge both disciplines, bringing advanced scientific knowledge of herbal products to the American public. Over the years, Dr. Zhang has successfully treated thousands of patients using these products in her clinical practice.
About HERBALmax Formulas
HERBALmax products were originally developed by Dr. Lihua Zhang to meet the myriad health needs of patients in her active clinical practice. After seeing the benefits derived by her many patients over the years, Dr. Zhang decided to make these products available to the general public. Drawing upon her dual expertise in both traditional Chinese medicine and the highly technical field of herbal pharmacology, Dr. Zhang has developed each HERBALmax product using only specially selected herbs from among tens of thousands of traditional Chinese herbs. The herbal ingredients in HERBALmax products have been subjected to wide ranging scientific study by medical scholars, and have been used for thousands of years by the Chinese people.
HERBALmax products are standardized concentrations of 100% natural Chinese herbs. HERBALmax products use no synthesized herbal extracts. Instead, Dr. Zhang insists on using herbal concentrates to retain the natural character of the herbs from which HERBALmax products are made. In addition, the products contain no artificial preservatives, sugar, starch or other fillers. HERBALmax products are made with the finest quality herbs and produced to the highest standards. HERBALmax formulas are non-habit forming with no toxic properties or harmful side effects.
All of the HERBALmax formulas have been used in Dr. Zhang's clinical practice over many years with proven positive results. These products have become very popular among doctors and other health care providers. Many doctors are using the HERBALmax line of products for patients who have allergic reactions or serious side effects to medication. Others use the products for patients who seek natural solutions to their health problems.
The Unique Features of HERBALmax Products Include:
- Fast-acting. In Dr. Zhang's clinical practice, the effectiveness is typically seen within just 1-3 days.
- Each HERBALmax product is designed using the principles of traditional Chinese medicine and modern science. The ingredients have been selected from thousands of Chinese herbs and formulated based upon scientific research and extensive clinical feedback. HERBALmax products are carefully created using only the highest quality herbs in the right amounts and proper formulations for optimal effectiveness and safety.
- HERBALmax products contain no artificial preservatives, sugar, starch or other fillers. Dr. Zhang insists on using herbal concentrates, rather than extracts, to retain the natural character of the herbs and to avoid food or drug interactions. As part of Dr. Zhang’s commitment to ensure quality and safety, each ingredient undergoes strict laboratory analysis before being used for manufacturing.
- HERBALmax formulas are non-habit forming with no toxic properties or known harmful side effects.